Being healthy means the body- and all its functions are all in harmony. If you are looking to achieve more well being and less tiredness listen up….
Hormones control and affect almost all of your body’s functions- everything from your brain’s responsibility - (memory and movement) , metabolism and digestion, healing and repair abilities, a well as your reproductive systems.
Us women have 50 hormones in the body-and they spin a tangled web with themselves. If the balance of one hormone is off it can trigger a response from the 49 others. If you have hormonal issues, I strongly urge you to see a specialist and or doctor to deal with your individual body and hormonal issues- as each of us has a unique hormone balance that is tied into our dan.
I have brought in my friend Olesya Wilson- to help us use proper nutrition to help find more balance in the body. As you know I am a sucker for a good Smoothie and she has listed her ultimate recipe.
If you scroll down to the end of the feed you will see the modifications I made -I didn’t have all the exotic ingredients she has listed!, I will update you as I stock my shelves with these new found superfood ingredients.
Olesya's Favorite hormone balancing ingredients:
- Maca Powder helps balance hormones and reverse hypothyroidism. I recommend Maca to anyone with adrenal fatigue as it nourishes them and reduces stress hormones. It has direct benefits to fertility and relieves PMS.
- Ashwagandha Powder (not for smoothies) is an amazing Indian herb that helps support adrenals and reduce cortisol levels, stress and anxiety. It also has cancer fighting properties. Some like to take it in a powder form but its bitter taste might be hard to take. I usually don’ t add it to my smoothies and use a supplement in capsule form.
- Cacao Powder has high amounts of zinc which has positive effects on hormone balance. It can also inhibit the release of the stress hormone cortisol and is wonderful for giving you an energy boost and good mood
- Collagen Powder heals your gut and aids in digestion. A healthy gut keeps you slim and is essential for hormonal balance.
- Spirulina contains the essential fatty acids and detoxifies your liver, helping it metabolize excess estrogen. Nutrients in it work to reduce cramps, mood problems, breast tenderness and overall inflammation
- Bee Pollen provides protein, vitamins and nutrients, like folic acid, that are important for balancing hormones and blood sugars.
- Flax Seed, Chia Seed or Sesame Seed provide soluble fibers which help our bodies eliminate excess hormones metabolized by the liver, dumping it in the intestines.
- Avocado (healthy fat) is the source of our body’s hormones.
Olyseas Smoothie : Hormonal Harmony Smoothie
- ½ cup Almond or Coconut milk
- 1 cup filtered Water
- 2 cups Spinach
- ½ Avocado
- ½ cup frozen Berries
- 1 serving Protein powder
- 2 tablespoons Almond butter
- 2 teaspoons ground Flax Seed (its best to use freshly ground, you can buy a small coffee grinder for it)
- 1 tablespoon Raw Cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon Maca powder
- 1 teaspoon Collagen powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Stevia to taste
- Ice cubes (optional)
I wanted to try her version but I did not have all the ingredients listed. Here's my version- I know that buying a whole bunch of superfood ingredients can be super expensive- but I used what I had in my kitchen to make this one. It was really delicious- and I'm sure if I had everything it would be amazing!
If you can’t afford a big supermarket run this week think of creative ways you can use what is in those cupboards. I had had Maca for a while but it sat unopened in my cupboard! Thank you Olysea for encouraging me to get more of this in!
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water and 2 large ice cubes
- 1 small bunch Rainbow chard
- 1/2 cup Frozen Berries
- 2 TBSP Organic Peanut butter
- 1/2 Banana
- 2 TBSP Cacao Powder
- 2 TBSP Maca Powder
- 1 TBSP Honey
Next time I go shopping, I plan on buying Collagen powder (it promises skin benefits like clear and youthful l skin) Flax Seed and Bee Pollen (my blood sugar runs low).
What ingredient do you want to try in your smoothie next? Comment below and let me know